Monday, September 14, 2015

2 Word/Copyright/Twitter

I’ve been using MS Word for as long as I could remember.  This first time I used it was in Elementary School, when I would have small essays to write or had to print out words and/or phrases for projects. Then in middle and high school, I used MS Word to write papers, print images, and in creating any kind of document. In college, I’ve even used MS Word to take notes during class. I’m using MS Word right now while writing this blog, so I have a saved copy of my work on my computer. I’ve seen my teachers use MS Word for similar reasons. In addition, my teachers have created documents in order to aid their students such as study guides, assignment explanations and calendars, and syllabi.
I remember noticing the little “c” inside a circle on many things as a child and wondering what that was. None of my teachers ever explained to me the laws of copyright and/or fair use. Having copyright means you have exclusive rights to use or distribute it. These laws govern what teachers can or cannot use in their classroom. Furthermore, fair use guidelines allow people to use copyright material for nonprofit educational purposes. I learned how to properly cite scholarly journals, websites, textbooks, and other education tools I would use during research projects in high school, but I never quite understood the severity of the copyright laws in place. As a teacher, I should consider all material copyrighted. I will educate my students at an appropriate age the important aspects of these laws and regulations so they use material more safely.

Twitter is a great way for teachers around the country to communicate everything from helpful tips to serious curriculum problems. Using the search bar, you can search a popular “hashtag” to see what other people are saying about the same topic. When I found an interesting article related to education, I was able to instantly share it with my entire class and teacher via Twitter. This social media and others could be a great way to communicate with your students and your students’ parents.  

6 comments:

  1. I use Microsoft word to take notes in class too! It's so much easier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great insigh, especially about Microsoft Word. I use Microsoft Word for so many things, it is a great tool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your use of MS Word in everyday activity. I am curious about your stance on twitter though, because with the age I want to teach I do not deem it to be appropriate for teacher to tweet at the students. I do think it is a good way for other teachers to connect and share ideas and I also agree that using it to inform parents on daily lessons would be nifty, but I think using it to communicate with students might be taking it a little too far. I respect your opinion and I think you will do swell with teaching your students about copyright and a proper way to engage in social media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with not truly understanding the copyright laws and just going through the motions of citing sources as teachers it will be important to reiterate that those laws have a good purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with not truly understanding the copyright laws and just going through the motions of citing sources as teachers it will be important to reiterate that those laws have a good purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you ever use cloud notetaking tools such as Google Docs and Evernote? I find that notes I take in university class I take in Word so they are on my hard-drive and meeting notes (or workshops) I take in cloud tools so I can access them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete